Friday, April 23, 2010

Just call me crazy

My best friend says I've lost my mind. My mom tells me it will be work ( but in the most positive way possible). My husband gives me the "Whatever you think" comment. And I am down right afraid. Why? Because I am venturing into the world of cloth diapering.
I'm doing it to save us money. On average, disposable diapers cost 36 cents per diaper change. Add to that the 2 cents every single wipe that is used costs. The average cost per diaper change when using good old fashion cloth diapers is roughly 6 cents per change. And that does include the cost of washing.


Just look at this pile of money I'm throwing away-- and that is only about 3 days worth of diapers! ( I know, I know. I should take out the trash already!)


Today, all my loot came in. 24 prefold diapers, 4 waterproof diaper covers, a wool soaker, and two hemp doublers. I didn't know what any of this stuff was until I did a ton of research on the Internet. Turns out that you have to prep basically everything. But what is prepping, exactly? I found myself to be a little (okay, a lot) confused.
I scoured the Internet via search engines to figure it out. So far, I have learned that new cloth diapers need to be washed and dried around 5 times before use. Oh, not with just any kind of detergent, but clean rinsing detergent. And forget about a dryer sheet. Those are a major no-no. My new prefolds are currently on the drying cycle of wash #3. And as for that lovely wool soaker I am even more confused. I need The Idiots Guide to Cloth Diapering. Seriously. If you come across one, send it my way.





0 comments:

Post a Comment